Sunday, March 06, 2005

Why I'm Glad I Write About Radio

You know when you're researching something and you come across a quote that fills your heart with glee? And you decide you must find a way to incorporate said text into your own work because how else can you get a shout out to the devil if not via a crazy evangelical who had a radio station in the 1920's.

'Please order your minions of Satan to leave my station alone stop you cannot expect the almighty to abide by your wave length nonsense stop when I offer my prayers to him I must fit into his wave reception stop open this station at once'


-- Aimee Semple McPherson, telegram to the US Department of Commerce after they padlocked her radio station for frequency drft (1925)

Quote found in Lorenzo Milam's, Sex and Broadcasting.

2 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we broke up our affiliation with the broadcast station we were working with, they told us (in utter seriousness) that they might consider working with us again if we stopped playing our devil music. I'm not sure how, but we held straight faces for long enough to turn around and get a few feet away. That's the best compliment any station I've worked with has ever received.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Kate Coyer said...

And may the good graces of satan himself always be with you and yours!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home